Author Topic: HK Swarm Sale on a Turnigy 35-36C motor  (Read 4146 times)

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
HK Swarm Sale on a Turnigy 35-36C motor
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
Not sure if you guys are familiar with Hobby King's new Swarm sales, basically you get a reduced rate on items if 6 or more people join the swarm sale.  Some things you only get a few cents off, others you get a bunch off.  In this case, the Turnigy 35-36C, a very popular motor, you get over half off.  It's listed for over $25, but it goes down to $23 something when you put it in your cart, with the swarm sale it's $11.30.  If you don't know this motor, it's similar to a Park 480, or slightly larger, but is good up to 400watts.  If you are interested in this motor, the swarm sale I'm in on, and need 3 more people as of now, can be found here....

Once 6 is reached, they send all those who joined an email with a link to purchase it at the swarm price.
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
Re: HK Swarm Sale on a Turnigy 35-36C motor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
It quickly reached 6 people, so this sale is on!   I'm pretty sure you can still join it for the next 24 hours if you are interested in this motor.
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:51 AM »
Are you putting this in your T-28?  It's a great price and looks to be a great motor from the reviews.  Someone said "better than a E-Flite Park 480 1020kv".  I have a Park 480 1020kv and its a fantastic motor. 
I bought a C3542-1100kv over a year ago and its just been gathering dust.. I initially bought it for my Acromaster but had timing problems with it and the Turnigy ESC I was using for it; you may recall.  I ended up changing the bearings on it but now think it was just a ESC timing issue.  I've never tried it again since I switched to another motor.
JR X9303 2.4Ghz   Walkera Devo 12s Futaba 9Cap 72Mhz and 433MHZ/500mW   HAM:KK4ASH

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
No, I'm not putting it in the T-28, though it is a very popular motor for an upgrade to that plane.  I've been on a building spree, both the new and improved F-16 and the Exec. Jet are about done, that leaves me my P-51 that has done nothing but sit in the corner and taunt me.  I did have a Park 480 to go in that, but, I really wanted to use a 4 bladed prop to give it a more scale look, and the 480 was just not enough for such a prop at only 270 watts.  So last week I sold the 480 on RCG and was going to buy this 35-36C.  I looked for a while, and then read more on these swarm sales, like I said, sometimes they are just 10 or 20 cents off, but this motor was crazy low with the swarm sale.  So I asked in a thread on RCG if anyone else was interested, and bam, 30 minutes later 8 or 10 joined.  I will say, the swarm sale is somewhat difficult to figure out how to make it work, but once I did, it did in fact let me buy it for $11.30.  Me happy!

Mine is over now I guess, but here someone else started a new one since they missed out as well, if you're interested.

Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
I've learned a little bit more about this Swarm Sale.  You really don't need 6 people to buy the item, you just need 6 people to sign up on your swarm sale, whether they buy or not is irrelevant.  If you've never seen it, scroll all the way to the bottom of the item page, there you will a button labeled "Swarm".  That further opens the window, giving you the choice of creating a swarm, or joining one.  To join one you have to have been sent a link with the swarm number, then you put in your email address and it tells you how many of the 6 have joined already.  Once it reaches 6 people you will receive an email notifying you that the swarm sale is on.  Knowing all this, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to get the swarm price for all your purchase items from HK.  RCG has a thread where people help each other out getting to 6 by just joining their swarm for them.  All you'd have to do as a helper, go join the swarm, and delete the email once you receive it.

Is this something you guys think would be useful here on WKRC?  I don't place many orders at HK, but I know there are many here that do.  If you all think it would be beneficial I could set up a sticky "Hobby Swarm Sale" thread in the "Hot Online Deals" forum.  Like I said above, it saved me over $12 on this motor alone.
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

http://www.rcfoamy.com/

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me and definitely worth a try.  I know some swarms are better than others.  In some, there is less than a dollar savings and in others, its like 50% off.  I was looking through the thread on RCGroups and it sounded like several were a bit frustrated with the swarms.. specifically waiting for enough people to click on the links.  The benefit we have here is that we can post it here AND there and that'll double the effectiveness!
JR X9303 2.4Ghz   Walkera Devo 12s Futaba 9Cap 72Mhz and 433MHZ/500mW   HAM:KK4ASH

Offline romeodz

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:18 AM »
I like the Idea!
JR9303 2.4
DX6i 2.4

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »
I was looking through the thread on RCGroups and it sounded like several were a bit frustrated with the swarms.. specifically waiting for enough people to click on the links.

I think it's more that their system is a bit buggy, and not the easiest to figure out.  One problem people have been having is getting the item in your cart at the swarm price instead of the regular price.  It took me a couple of tries, but I finally got it to work.

Ok, so I started a Swarm Sale sticky thread, you can find it here...
http://www.westknoxrc.com/index.php?topic=1160.0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:25:36 AM by EricJ320 »
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS