Author Topic: Best place to get Buggy Wheels and tires  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Flying_fox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Gangnam Style!
Best place to get Buggy Wheels and tires
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Well the good thing about brushless and lipo is its really fast, and really fun, the bad thing is the tires go quick, especially with me driving it on road, so I started tring to find new tire (and wheels because mire are in bad shape) and there are so many differnt sizes and offsets, and tread patterns, etc I really dont know what to get. Accord to excede RC mine are 86x32mm fr and 86x40mm rear, with 12mm hex centers. Its a buggy so Im sure I dont have to get exactly that size, but I cant really find anything close, and If I do, I cant find the tires to match.   :dontknow

Any suggestions on where to get more info, or a place with a good selection I can walk in and just buy what I need  :o

Thanks for any light you guys can shed on this.
Futaba 9CAP    AMA#867382    KJ4QCB :D

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Best place to get Buggy Wheels and tires
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
I know next to nothing about ground vehicles, so I just go based on what's recommended.  After talking to the very knowledgeable staff at HTUSA, they said you pretty much have to replace the tires and wheels together.  Most come glued on and you will destroy the wheel getting the old tires off, but if you do, the new ones won't seat like they should.  There may be other opinions from the car experts, but that is what they told me.

If you are wanting replacements, these look like the exact rear wheels....
http://www.hobbypartz.com/51c00-06026-chromeblue.html

And these are the front replacement wheels...
http://www.hobbypartz.com/51c00-06010-chromeblue.html

HPZ10 for 10% off has expired, but "hobbymodel" code will still work and get you 5% off, total of $12.54 with free shipping.  That sounds pretty good to me!  Double check though, I'm not sure if 2 pcs. means two complete tires and wheels, or 1 tire and 1 wheel.  If the latter is the case then it would be double price I listed above.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:20:30 PM by EricJ320 »
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

Offline whiskeytango

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
That's a pretty common question for any RC car, so you should be able to find plenty of opinions.  I found lots of info with a quick search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+tires+for+stampede.  After 15-20 minutes of reading, I like the Pro-line Badlands if I were going "name brand", but you're opinion may vary.

Eric is right though, you're likely better off getting a new set of wheels too.  Cleaning old wheels is a win some, lose some job.

If you're going to stick to lots of asphalt, you'll go through ANY tires much quicker.  FWIW, in my truck bashing days, I just ran old worn dirt tires on the street.  If you're going to race on a dirt track...save your good tires for that!

I didn't know about anything as cheap as HobbyPartz or HK back then either.  I was only looking at Pro-Lines, Traxxas, etc....all much more expensive.  Sticker shock kept me from trying sooooo many different tires.

Offline Flying_fox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Thanks guys, I was hoping to get a set of replacement wheels (and tires) that were a bit more durable than what I have, but for less than 13 bucks shipped I think I will give the ones Eric found a go.

These actually held up pretty good in Nimh batteries, but it took about 6 packs on 2s LiPo to do this to them  :D
Futaba 9CAP    AMA#867382    KJ4QCB :D

Offline whiskeytango

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
Not a bad price.  Hopefully they'll turn out to great!

I've only placed one order with HobbyPartz, and while it was a little slow (7 business days to arrive), I did get everything in working order and well packaged.  I'm sure I'll order from them again.

http://www.rcfoamy.com/

Offline fpkr99

• Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »
If you buy sweep tires they come out to $40 a set of 4 unglued www.sweepracing.com I always buy them unglued because the premounts got no holes in the rims or tires. You can get those cheaper then other any other brand and they hook up just as well. My silver compound (similar to proline m4) exagons still have plenty of life after 2 long race days running on abrasive clay.