Author Topic: All good things must come to an end..  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (6)
All good things must come to an end..
« on: December 22, 2016, 03:47:48 AM »
Hi All,

I'm considering taking down this page due to lack of activity. There are a lot of other sites and forums now; even on Facebook. I still have a garage full of RC stuff and hope to get back into it some day, but with a kiddo and doggo and work life, I just haven't had the time. If you are interested in taking ownership of the page or would like time to archive stuff off of it, let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to target end of January 2017 to take the site offline. I'll maintain a backup just in case.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Whatever Else You Celebrate.

Yours,
Kerbob

Knoxville Drone Club (More Aerial Video type content than here)https://www.facebook.com/groups/456722884507899/693574097489442/

Knoxville Multirotor
https://www.facebook.com/groups/857306637699792/

JR X9303 2.4Ghz   Walkera Devo 12s Futaba 9Cap 72Mhz and 433MHZ/500mW   HAM:KK4ASH

Offline ErikW1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
Re: All good things must come to an end..
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that this site may go away, it's too bad that people haven't been using it much lately. I had high hopes of finding out who's doing what and where in the area when I found this site a few years ago as I was just getting back into RC after a 20+ year hiatus. For what it's worth, I appreciate your efforts with the site and, while it would be nice if it stayed up and people actually used it, I understand that it costs time and money to maintain, which may not be worth it to you if it goes unused. Thanks either way, and I hope to see you out there flying sometime.

BTW, I have a few planes for sale that I may post here but if you do decide to take the site down at the end of the month don't worry about wiping out my listings, I know the deal so it's fine.

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply Erik and Happy New Year.
I've been talking with Shagrug via direct messages. I think he's convinced me to let it hang around another year. If things don't pick up, we'll revisit then. Over the years, the site has come and gone in waves. Maybe there's a new wave on the horizon. The cost really isn't so significant, we'll give it another year.
JR X9303 2.4Ghz   Walkera Devo 12s Futaba 9Cap 72Mhz and 433MHZ/500mW   HAM:KK4ASH

Offline Valkyrie_1520

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Sit back, relax and smell the nitro..
    • Volunteer Aeromodelers
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
 :stay
Tim

President - Volunteer Aeromodelers
DX18  AMA#9335
RC Heli Nation - Citizen # 606

Offline aston70

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Smith Models
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »
My new year resolution is to fly more this year. If I can do that twice I will succeed. Last year was a rough year for me.
President Emeritus / Scouting Liaison - Volunteer AeroModelers
AMA# 5770

http://www.hobbytown.com/Knoxville-TN/

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
Valkyrie, My Co-Admin.. looks like we're engaged for another year.

Aston70,
Sounds like a good resolution and I'll sign on for that one too. I flew twice last year so I'd need to fly three times. Same same.. last year was rough.

All,
One of the two times I flew was one of the highlights of the year. We were in Deston for my daughter's fall break. We went down with a bunch of her friends and their parents and rented a house which ended up being far cheaper than a hotel. This video is too long to watch, but I think you can tell I was having fun.

Offline ErikW1969

• Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 11:11:07 PM »
Glad to hear you're giving the site another chance, I hope people will use it more this year!

Nice vacation video, BTW. You got some really nice shots. The one that starts around 4:30 is really cool, the way their long shadows appear on the rippled sand, it's very interesting and cinematic.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but if anyone is in the West Knoxville area and looking for a convenient place to fly, West Park Baptist Church on Middlebrook is pretty nice. There are a few people who fly there, you just have to wait until there aren't any people, especially kids, using the field. They will chase you off if you fly when kids are out on the field. But there's another unused field behind it that I've hear the church said we can fly in. I've used it several times and it's not bad but you have to hand launch planes because there's no place to takeoff/land. Myself and another couple of guys usually fly there on Sunday afternoons when the weather is decent.

Offline romeodz

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Great video Kerbob. Like several of you stated, last year was a tough one to go fly. More flying this year!
JR9303 2.4
DX6i 2.4

Offline gittarpikk

• Ole FPV Dawg
    • CrazyPlanesRC
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
Man, I had probably the worse year financially (or that i remember) and did not even get to join the club .... seemed like every day/moment was just keeping head above the water so did not post much ...didnt have anything positive to post...but this year is better and is looking even more so. ....If you do let er' hang on another year, I may get to finally post some good news :)

I've always enjoyed the people on this page/site and appreciated it being here....BTW if you can come out and fly at VAM, the field is getting nicer every year...and there are plenty of quad/fpv going on...and its fun keeping the buzzards ran off with the fixed wing FPV.
CrazyBall Designer- developer and Old Timer...yeah , I go Waaaay Back!

Offline gittarpikk

• Ole FPV Dawg
    • CrazyPlanesRC
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
BTW...anyone got a decent Century 21 iron for sale..?...ole top flite bit the dust when I left it on for a day
CrazyBall Designer- developer and Old Timer...yeah , I go Waaaay Back!

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:18 AM »
Hey All,
I've kept the forum going for another 9 months and there hasn't been much activity at all. The maintenance plan for hosting comes up for renewal on Sept 26. I'll back the site up before then and shut it down. If anyone else would like to take over, let me know.

I'll probably get into the hobby again at some point. Still have a garage full of planes. :) I just don't have time for it anymore. Great times and great memories!

Thanks and Best wishes to you all of you,
John (Kerbob)

Offline ErikW1969

• Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:25 PM »
Thanks for giving it another chance - I guess you're right that most people just use social media for this sort of thing these days.

I hope to see you out flying again someday!