Author Topic: Need help deciding if this is the right truck!  (Read 4325 times)

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Need help deciding if this is the right truck!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »
Do wheelies?  When it's in full power, it's hard to keep the front wheels on the ground!

Going up in voltage to a 11.1v lipo will give you significantly more power, but could do so at the cost of the motor.  Brushed motors really don't take well to 3 cell packs for very long, but that's not to say you can't do it.  Just know that the life span of the motors will be reduced significantly.  It's worth a try to put a 2S in it to see how it works first.  Like I said in my post above, wattage is the main thing, seeing that watts=amps x volts, if you can get the amps higher with a lipo than you do with the stock NiMH, which it most likely will, even though voltage is lower, the watts could be the same or higher.

I'm glad my endless ramblings here have gotten you back interested in your "son's" truck! ;)  Many here would call me an instigator, a pusher even!  Ha, I don't create addictions, I just help promote them!  :hammer
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS

Offline Kerbob

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »
 :lol

This is me after meeting EricJ320:
JR X9303 2.4Ghz   Walkera Devo 12s Futaba 9Cap 72Mhz and 433MHZ/500mW   HAM:KK4ASH

Offline EricJ320

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »
This Traxxas Stampede XL-5 has turned out to be a pretty good entry level truck, and structurally it has held up pretty well to quite a bit of abuse, or I guess the RC car and truck guys call it bashing!  The only downside of this particular truck, or better yet, brushed vehicles in general, is just that, they are brushed.  I've gone through 3 or 4 of the brushed motors, though Traxxas has warrantied all of them so far, except this last one.  Since it's over a year old now, and I have gotten tired of getting it replaced, I decided to go brushless instead of just buying another brushed motor.  I threw the brushed ESC up for sale on RCG and was able to get $26, after shipping, towards the brushless upgrade.  I found several people had used a Hobbywing 10T 3900kv motor and 35 amp EZRun ESC.  Hobbypartz had them both in stock, at great prices, plus an additional 10% off and free shipping, with the $26 from the old ESC I only had to throw in roughly another $24 to upgrade. 

The motor is a direct drop in replacement, the shaft is the same size as the stock shaft, so I didn't have to get a new pinion gear.  The size of the motor is a 540 case, same as the stock brushed motor, although the Hobbywing motor is actually a 380 motor with cooling fins to fill it out to a 540 size.  The mounting screws fit the new motor as well.  You have to buy nothing else new to make it fit, it couldn't have been easier.

All I can say is WOW!  What a difference it makes!  I thought this truck was good and fast before, but now it's even better!  But more than just speed, the power is really what is the most amazing.  I had to drop the wheelie bar almost all the way down, when before I could run it all the way at the top.  Now you have to very easily start in on the throttle just to keep the front wheels down, and even at 3/4 throttle if you aren't smooth on the throttle and jump to full throttle too quick it will still wheelie, even though it's going 25mph or more.  So I strapped the GPS on again, and put the data logger on as well.  Earlier in the thread I clocked it 26.1 mph with the same 2S lipo and the brushed motor.  Now the GPS came in at 33.3 mph.  I would have thought for sure it was faster, I guessed at least 40 mph, but I just don't think it's geared for speed.  I have a feeling this motor, with this gear, and this motor (3900kv) on 2S is putting out the best speed it can on this voltage.  If I change the gear I'm certain it wouldn't have any problem giving a lot more speed.  You really notice the increase in power during acceleration, and mostly when driving through the grass.  Grass barely slows it down now, the only loss comes from bouncing around and loosing traction, not at all because it runs out of power or bogs down.

Overall, this is a very inexpensive upgrade to an already good truck, but after the upgrade it becomes something all together different, it becomes a great truck, almost like getting a brand new one all together!  Now I'm wishing I'd have just done this upgrade from the get go!
Eric
Airtroncis 2.4Ghz FHSS